The Language Policy for Incoming Students and Staff
The Language of Instruction
The language skills required for different mobility types are communicated individually at the tender announcement.
The Czech Language
The official language of the Czech Republic is the Czech language and the knowledge of English is not sufficiently widespread among the Czech population. For this reason, the incoming students and staff are offered free courses in the Czech language and they are provided with necessary assistance.
Before the Erasmus Mobility Period, those incoming students are encouraged to attend a free Czech EILC course. To find a proper course, please visit the National agency website
An ITB ESN Buddy mentor is constantly available for each incoming student to provide help in all situations that require the knowledge of the Czech language. Students may also contact the Coordinator of Foreign Relations. As part of the Introduction Week (5 ECTS) Block Course, students are made familiar with the most basic phrases in the Czech language.
This course is prepared especially for foreign students. The aim of this course is to help students reach the A1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. After the completion of the course, the students:
- can understand basic phrases which are needed for everyday communication and can use these expressions and phrases
- can introduce themselves and other people and ask simple questions concerning well known places, people and things and react to similar questions
- can read simple texts (notices, signs, etc.)
- can write simple texts in the Czech language (a holiday postcard, fill in a simple form, etc.)
- are familiar with culture and everyday life in the Czech Republic
- are aware of the cultural differences between their native country and the Czech Republic
for more information about this course, please visit: the following link
Incoming staff can attend a Czech Language for Foreigners organized by the ITB's Centre for Lifelong Learning. They can contact a mentor designated by the receiving department, the Coordinator of Foreign Relations and the ITB ESN Buddy Club.